Dr Shanker believes firmly in collaboration and started the comprehensive metabolic-bariatric surgery service. He specialises in keyhole surgery for obesity and metabolic disorders, for gastroesophageal conditions, such as cancer and acid reflux, and for gallbladder and abdominal hernia.
Dr Shanker Pasupathy
Designation: Senior Consultant, Gastrointestinal & Vascular
More About Dr Shanker
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, National University of Singapore
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Glasgow, UK
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK
- Fellow of the Academy of Medicine of Singapore (General Surgery)
- Advances keyhole surgery techniques
- Laparoscopy and Robotic surgery
- Metabolic-bariatric surgery
- Member of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- International faculty member at the Asian Institute of Telesurgery (AITS), Taiwan
- President of the Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society of Singapore (OMSSS)
- Bahasa Melayu/Indonesian
- Graduated from National University of Singapore in 1995, with his undergraduate medical degree
- Completed his training in general, gastro-intestinal and vascular surgery in Singapore, Germany and the UK.
- Spent a year in France acquiring skills in advanced keyhole surgery techniques (laparoscopy and robotic surgery).
- Returned to Singapore and pioneered the laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and laparoscopic gastric bypass at the Singapore General Hospital (SGH) in 2008.
- Initiated the comprehensive metabolic-bariatric surgery service at SGH with support from the Department of Endocrinology, eventually rising to become director of the LIFE Centre.